Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mysterious World and Ancient Beauty

My friend Lewis (who's 16 not 15 ~ sorry Lewis!) sent me this link to Mysterious World today, and I got about a third of the way down the page and there was this picture that looks a lot like me and my sister Kathy. As if the topic of giants isn't weird enough on it's own. All my life strangers asked me if I was Asian, to which I'd respond, "No, our parents are German Norwegians." But as Americans, we know very little about our genealogy past a few generations back. Unlike the oral historians in Africa who can recount family stories almost back to the beginning of time, our people have no storytellers. Could she be our ancestor?

This red-headed mummy was one of many found in the Takla Makan desert in central Asia, in the far northwestern corner of China. Though many mummies have had typical Asian features, this and many more displayed distinctly European features. This ancient beauty forms a link to a part of humanity's ancient past that had previously been forgotten. Image from NOVA Online.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...you're right! Kinda creepy :)
Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Really creepy:) I can see a resemblance. Like a self portrait?
Good to see you today sister!

Love, Kathy

INCOMING!!!!!!! said...

Funny old world. Stumbled over this yesterday! http://www.omniglot.com/writing/tocharian.htm

Hi from UKplc.

itsme said...

I see the resemblance, except for the dead part.

M.

Niki Raapana said...

So creepy isn't necessarily bad, is it? I think I need to take a trip to China to see this mummy in person.

Nordica always said we can never be free if we speak our conquerors' language, that in order to speak and write the truth we have to have our own untainted communications.

This is really over the top stuff, but maybe I was supposed to find it for a reason. Who are we, and what other dead languages did our ancestors speak (we already know Prussian is a dead language)? Why did English speaking conquerors outlaw the native tongue and religion in American native lands? Is there so much power in language that it cannot be allowed to exist independently of the Empire?

I WILL get back to this when I'm done with the rewrites!